Saturday, September 24, 2011

Grad School As Consumption



In my first three weeks of grad school, I have been asked to consume a huge amount of information without producing much. What I have produced as wiki-posts and short projects lacks an intensive commitment to quality. Like this blog, most of the ideas I have encountered and produced/re-produced haven't been fully formed. I find myself skimming articles, taking interesting points, coming up with a few "Ah-Hah!" moments for each, then leaving the overarching idea (if I got any sense of it at all - mostly I just get a surface represenation, an uncomplicated binary perspective) to rattle around in my head.

There is no time to digest!

That was my complaint as an undergrad, and it remains true for grad school, too. When will mental metabolism come into the equation? Sure, I will produce final projects that are intended to be refined products, but this leaves me considerably little time to think and make connections along the way.

I came to grad school because I didn't want my life to stagnate, but now I wish I could embrace the slow life movement, move to a farm in Idaho and milk cows.

Real life is Montessori education. Grad school is a grinding machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment