Thursday, April 22, 2010

Miyashita Park Documentary


I recently started volunteering with OurPlanet-TV, an independent journalism NPO based in Tokyo. They recently produced an English version of a documentary about Miyashita Park in Shibuya, Tokyo. The park will become "Nike Sports Park" this year, a move toward privitization and commercialization of this public space. Please watch the video and join the movement to SAVE MIYASHITA PARK!

MIYASHITA PARK-TOKYO/SHIBUYA

- Can The Domocracy Be Bought For Money?PART1

MIYASHITA PARK-TOKYO/SHIBUYA

- Can The Domocracy Be Bought For Money?PART2

Youtube version

1 comment:

  1. Such a fascinating issue. Depending on what hat I put on, the doc provokes varying responses.

    The biggest problem I observed was the method of transcription. Beyond grammatical errors, I felt that much of the content was over-simplified. I would hear minutes of conversation translated into one or two lines of text. Not speaking Japanese made it difficult to fully understand the intricacy and nuance of the dialogue.

    In terms of the interviews with public officials, I was quite surprised to see such openness. There were obvious inconsistencies in their stories, but they didn't seem opposed to talking about them. It makes me wish I understood more about local politics in Tokyo. I can tell you that participation in such a documentary would not happen in DC.

    I also wonder what level(s) of civic participation is/are at play concerning the Miyashita Park situation. I'm inclined to think that politicians aren't as concerned about the creation of this park if they feel that the opposition isn't going to count for many votes. I could be wrong. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete