Friday, March 19, 2010

Manifesto

Mindful media. Intentional technology. Ideas worth considering. Why?

Media and the technologies that distribute them powerfully influence our daily lives, habits and cultures. The past century witnessed exponential developments in media and technology, and many people have seen the transitions from print media to radio to television to internet within their lifetimes. Evidence of the powerful effects of media and technology is all around us if we choose to become conscious of it.

Look around you and notice the number of brand logos in your immediate space. I counted 12, though I know there are hundreds in my apartment at large. Everyone reading this as a blog post will have to count at least the blogspot logo in their browser as advertisement regrettably encroaching into this blog and your mind. This simple exercise demonstrates the pervasiveness of advertising in both physical and digital space. Yet we are generally unaware of the ubiquitous existence of these signs and symbols, as well as the power they command in our lives.

In the true sense of a "web log," I aim to use this site in a variety of ways:

1) To increase mindfulness about the use of media and technology for myself and others by posting about my day-to-day interactions with them.

2) To participate in the cycle of consumption and production of media.

3) To reflect on this process.

4) To contribute to a field of knowledge about the role of media and technology in daily life.

As the blog develops, I hope to perform a variety of experiments in the use of media-related technology. In the process I hope to gain working definitions and a deeper understanding of media, technology, culture and mindfulness. I also intend to use icons to distinguish posts as consumption, production or reflection, or a combination of these.

By practicing mindfulness while engaging with media, by using technology intentionally, I hope to align myself with a cosmic force and use my own power to ease suffering in the world, create cultures of beauty, and contribute to forming the conditions for peace around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment