Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Loss of my Keyboard

This post is regrettably late. Unfortunately, stupidly, I spilled some liquid on my Macbook Pro keyboard and have lost the use of the "n,m,h,y,6,numlock,?' keys. I know, I know, I can quote the forums: "Don't play with liquids around a $1k+ piece of equipment [which more or less coordinates and controls your life]." BTW, this was not emotionally helpful as I was looking for solutions to fixing my keyboard, although I know this episode will teach me to be more careful around my central-life-coordinating-computing-machine in the future.

Immediately, I began going through symptoms of computer withdraw. I still had limited use, minus the keys on the keyboard, and I wanted to blog. But I couldn't bear the thought of writing an entire blog post (or three or four) having to paste in the letters I am missing, or simply do without them. However, this might have been an interesting experiement in mindfulness, avoiding using four letters and still coming up with something coherent to say. In any case, I opted out of blogging, and instead used my mouse to navigate me to some more "It's Always Sunny..."

Next day, I shut the machine down and brought it to a Mac store for consultation. Of course, before they even looked at it I would have had to sign a form accepting the possibility of the loss of all my data for the price of about $100 in service charges, only so they could diagnose whether it would be necessary for me to pay about $300 to replace the keyboard, or $1,300+ to replace the whole circuit board. Despite devoting an entire day to the repair process, I decided to bring my computer home, back up my data, and consider buying a keyboard. Now I'm using my work computer to put down my blog thoughts.

I don't know if this is healthy blogging behavior, but I have a spurt of posts I'd like to put up. I'll put down a list of topics here to guide my future posts:

-Knowledge and Wisdom
-Media
-Technology
-A Survey of "Mindful Media" on the Web
-A Day in the Life: a Mindful Media Experiment
-Our Planet TV
-A Survey of Blog Sites and Why I Chose This One

No comments:

Post a Comment