Thursday, March 3, 2011

Need for More Ergonomic Computing



When I become mindful of my posture as I sit at the computer, I realize it's terrible. Sure, it's partially a bad habit. But it's also partially the result of a poor desk setup. Now, my laptop rests on two thick textbooks to elevate it to eye level. But it's still a bit too low and I end up bending my neck down and leaning into the screen (especially to read smaller text), sometimes putting my elbows in the desk in front of me. This is doing horrible things to my shoulders, neck and back! I guess I'll try putting another book underneath and see if that helps.

I've been meaning to post this for a while, just as a reminder to myself and others about the importance of good posture and an ergonomic computer set up. I heard on NPR's All Things Considered yesterday that one of the issues Wisconsin unions have focused on is helping people receive compensation for work-related repetitive stress injuries. So it's a serious issue. But the problem is that it's difficult to prove if a computing-related injury has been caused at work or at home.

So here is a wesbsite with some ergonomic computing tips. Enjoy!
http://www.ergonomic-computing.co.uk/workstation.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment