Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Commitment to Nonviolence and Recycling

A Commitment to Non-Violence

Last week I was graced with what I like to call a "moment of lucidity" - a time when truth or beauty just present themselves out of nowhere. The revelation: a commitment to non-violence. As I see it, there are two types of violence: 1) physical violence 2) mental or emotional violence.

From this moment, I commit myself to refraining from physical violence toward human beings, and trying to spread this doctrine to create a more peaceful world. As for the second, more abstract forms of violence, it is more complicated, so I want to focus for now on just eliminating physical violence. By adhering to this basic principle, individuals can make a big change for peace.

I also commit myself to learning more about the ethics of war and peace. One of the classes that convinced me to major in religion was "War and Peace Through Religious Perspectives." I'd like to revisit the contents of this class, and gain a better understanding of how movements for pacifism and non-violence become successful in all wisdom traditions - from atheists to agnostics, from Jews to Jains.

Though it is easy for me to refrain from violence - my country doesn't have a draft (at the moment) and I don't live in a war-torn city or an area plagued by gang violence. But I want to use this commitment to non-violence to create social change through civil disobedience, and educating others about this possibility. If you can get a kid in South East D.C. to decide not to buy a gun, or a kid in Colorado to refrain from shooting up his classmates, you've done something important.

Later in the week, I was inspired by my great uncle, Ted Nace. He was recently arrested for protesting outside a shopping center against an Israeli cosmetics company which benefits from the exploitation of resources in Palestine. He's over 80 years old. Go Ted! You are a real inspiration.

You can see video of about his arrest here:
http://www.krdo.com/video/25943611/index.html
http://www.krdo.com/video/25935874/index.html

A Week of Recycling

On a slightly more practical note, I really, REALLY need to take out my recycling. This is a reminder to myself to get the schedule this week and remember to bring out my separated recyclables on the appropriate day. Also, I gotta start carrying my water bottle and stop buying PET bottles. They don't recycle well. I also gotta bring some clothes to the nearby recycle shop, or perhaps 素人の乱 (Shiroto no Ran)'s recycle shop.

Great podcast on "upcycling" (i.e. re-using) from "To The Best of Our Knowledge" last week. Check it out.
http://www.wpr.org/book/101121b.cfm

Another good one on consumerism:
http://www.wpr.org/book/091129a.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment