Sunday, July 25, 2010

Today's Media Log

Began by checking gmail, which connected me with the web in a dizzying spin of consciousness - from facebook, to non-profits pleading for funds, to idealist.org, to bank alerts, and messages on my youtube account. Maybe 10% of the emails in my inbox contained substance, and I'm still not done sorting through the past week. I need to remove myself from some mailing lists. With no less than 5 tabs open on Firefox at a time, ardly mindful media navigation!

Proceeded to Skype with Mom and Noelle.

Then headed out for the day with a book and some kanji flashcards to keep me busy on the bus/train.

After a conversation with the hair dresser while getting my hair cut (is conversation media), bummed around Machida, accepting some free promotional tissues, and checking grocery stores for frozen fruit. Does this all count as media consumption?

Met friends for dinner, then saw inception. Total sensory overload, especially since I'm coming down with a cold. It hurt my brain a little, but a thought provoking thriller for sure.

Back home, and after a stop at a convenience store for some more substantial dinner and my favorite hydrating beverage, NPR! Here's my favorite story from today's All Things Considered, part of a series on faith in China:


http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128672542


Reflecting on a conversations with family and friends last week, this story leads me to think about the evolving nature of and relationship between the terms religion, spirituality, faith, superstition, culture, and politics, etc. These terms are alternately used to describe the same phenomena, but with different shades of meaning, and the ability to shift the balance of power from a tone of grave reverence for the sacred, to condemnation of the common. If any or all of these terms interest you, check out the story, and consider how these terms are used.

No comments:

Post a Comment